“We read to know that we are not alone.”
― William Nicholson
I started this post because I had just read something amazingly hilarious and wacky from The Bloggess. The Bloggess is famous. And fabulous. And hysterically funny if you get into a wackier sense of humor. People everywhere love her. You should check her out.
BUT, back to the sideline that I veered off to which became the whole of this blog post (I get sidetracked from my sidetracks FAR too often...maybe Thing 1 is right and I really DO have Adult ADD...which is another aside altogether, isn't it?).
Oooookkaaayyyy. So, I started to write this post about other blogs (and I will, eventually, write another blog post about that) and then I found the above quote which kicked off this post. I have NO idea who William Nicholson is but it made me think of a guy who roomed with my Ex-Husband in college who eventually became MY roommate because I totally shacked up before I was married in a house with my Ex-Husband and his roommates.
|Google logo. It's a pic! It's a verb!|
- I got 52,300 results.
- He shares the name of a famous "footballer" (a.k.a. "soccer player").
- There are 68 profiles who match his name on LinkedIn.
- Someone who shares his name is a prolific author who writes about jazz.
- There are multiple Twitter accounts related to the name.
- There were literally HUNDREDS of images associated with the name but not a single one (unless he's had some SERIOUS plastic surgery) were of the guy I knew.
So, then, I started thinking about OTHER people I've known who I simply...don't know anymore. And I started Googling.
A girl I knew when I moved to this tiny town in southern, CO in the 6th grade for about 6 months:
- 14,200 results.
- 6 people share her name in Colorado.
- Someone who shares her name is an A-MAZING photographer.
- There is only ONE LinkedIn profile for her name AND the person lives in CO. Could THAT be her?
- Nope. Found a picture of the above person. Not her.
- Someone who shares her name received the 2005 Notary Notary Honoree award. Did you KNOW that Notary Publics have an award? I had no idea.
- There were lots and lots of Google images but I got bored with the search before I looked through them all.
- Only 3,960 results!
- 13 profiles on LinkedIn.
- Several Twitter accounts linked to the name.
- A person who shares his name is a youth pastor in Iowa.
- His name is preceded on one Web site by the words The Man, The Myth, The Legend. That made me laugh for a variety of reasons.
- I struck pay dirt and found a reference to the ACTUAL person, his wife and his college-aged daughter.
So, it was fun for a few minutes going through the wayback machine. Of course, most of the people that I used to know I can't seem to remember their freakin' names now. It's pretty hard to Google "that guy I worked with in that temp job right out of college." OK, I just did and got 242 MILLION results. Still, I don't think I'll ever find that guy...OR remember his name. C'est la vie.
Does anyone else go off on these nutty sidetracks or am I alone in my insanity?
If you like my blog, share it. Or Like my FB page to get updates. Or subscribe to the e-mail list. Or make a comment below. If you don't like it, well...just try not to hurt my feelings. I'm sensitive.