Monday, June 10, 2013

Generating Noise

“Living as we do in an age of noise and bluster, success is now measured accordingly. We must all be seen, and heard, and on the air.”
                                                                  ― Daphne du Maurier

I have no idea why or when I took this pic.
There are, apparently, a few people reading my blog now.  By a few, I mean more than just my former mother- and father-in-law, my own parents and several unfortunate friends.  I find that I'm somewhat embarrassed when I find out that unexpected people are viewing this nonsense.  I spew a LOT of insanity on this site and I rarely think about the fact that people (random people) might actually be reading it.  I guess it makes sense considering that I've looked at the metrics and there are many thousands of pageviews.  I kinda figured that my mom was just clicking on it over and over again.  But now, I'm running into people who are vague acquaintances with no real connection to me who have started reading my blog.  And I'm starting to get friend requests from complete strangers on Facebook.

WHO KNEW?

OK, so, for the record, I have to set a few things straight for those of you reading my blog who don't QUITE know me.

  1. I am not actually, certifiably insane.  No psychologist (or psychiatrist) has ever looked at me and started whistling, rolling their eyes and making a high-pitched "cuckoo" sound.  They may have done this internally but I've never received a prescription to cease the endless cacophony of voices in my head.  Shh.  We won't tell.
  2. I am not a complete failure at everything.  I tend to...well...exaggerate.  I'm not a terrible mother and I don't whine incessantly all the time.  I do, however, fall down.  I fall down a lot.  And I am almost never "put together."  My shirts have stains on them if I've been wearing them longer than fifteen minutes.  And my hair is almost always a crazy mess. I am assuming, though, that my clumsiness and my general disheveled appearance does not make me an utter failure.
  3. I am thrilled when you tell me that you enjoy my writing.  I enjoy writing stuff.  I love the endless, ceaseless prattle that comes out of the ends of my fingertips. I firmly believe that my fingers do all the work.  If my brain were AT ALL involved in this endeavor I think the blog would be way less fun for me (but probably a lot more coherent for you).  
  4. I am shocked that people actually read the things I write.  I've written either mundane marketing collateral or just stuff for myself for my whole life so I'm not accustomed to people actually reading the things I write and wanting to talk to me about them.  I wonder sometimes how people KNOW the stuff about me that they seem to know.  And then I recall the verbal vomit that is my blog.  And then I get embarrassed again.
  5. The two people who requested NOT to be in my blog are not my children.  I've had more than one person assume that the two who opted out of Kelly Blog World were Thing 1 and Thing 2.  I am sure there will come a day when they are horrified about all that I've written about them. And they will probably ban me from their weddings and the bar mitzvahs of their children (OK, fine, we're not Jewish...but getting banned from a bar mitzvah would make a GREAT story, wouldn't it?).  But, for now, we're still OK.  They're pretty accustomed to my lack of filter and limitless blather.  And thank goodness for that because they provide the primary fodder for my fingers.
  6. I am having a lot of fun writing.  I am so glad to hear that so many of you like to read this stuff.  This blog completely FEEDS me right now.  Maybe at some point I'll figure out a theme.  Or make some damn sense.  But, for now, I'm just enjoying the ride.  It's kinda nice that you're enjoying it, too.
  7. Thanks.  Thanks for reading stuff that resides in the darker corners of my head. Thanks for understanding that I'm kidding (most of the time) and thanks for letting some of my endless stores of emotion come through in this forum.  Thanks for reading and validating me on that level that really just wants the Gold Star and the A++ and the Great Job!  Most of all, thanks for reading one post and then coming back to read one or two more.  You might just be sicker than I am.  (OK, see?  THAT was a part where I was just kidding...)
 My go-to therapist is going to be pretty pissed off when he figures out that I'm working out all my junk through my blog.  I think he may have had an another kid for me to put through college.  Sorry, Therapy Guy, I've got a new couch.  :)  Or, rather, a new rockin' chair.

If you like my blog, share it.  Or Like my FB page to get updates.  Or subscribe to the e-mail list.  Or make a comment below.  If you don't like it, well...just try not to hurt my feelings.  I'm sensitive. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment