Saturday, July 27, 2013

Shut Up, Move On: It's a Book AND a Lifestyle

“You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.”
― Tupac Shakur

When my plans were rearranged this afternoon, I opted to spend it in the company of 40 million strangers at Barnes & Noble, my own personal version of nirvana.  And there, amid the bustle of strangers in the cafe and the smell of freshly published books, I found my own new personal motto:  S.U.M.O. (Shut Up, Move On): The Straight Talking Guide to Creating and Enjoying a Brilliant Life.  If you haven't read it, the theory is all conveniently packaged in a book by my new guru, Paul McGee.   I spent two hours absorbing this book, even taking FOUR pages of single-spaced typewritten notes.  And, yes, I bought it.  If you haven't done so, you should right now.  I'll wait.

There are many wonderful lessons McGee teaches in the book, but one of my favorites is his recommendation to Change Your T-shirt.  He asks us to imagine that what you feel or believe about yourself is written on your t-shirt.  Many people wear Victim t-shirts with awesome phrases like:
  • I am stupid.
  • I am worthless.
  • No one cares about me.
  • It's just my luck...
 It's really true, isn't it?  People can tell how you feel about yourself within an instant of meeting you.  So I decided to begin creating changed by imagining my new t-shirts.  Here's what I came up with:
  • I rock in the shower!
  • Clumsy and proud!  (Wait...that's not a positive message...)
  • My boobs are bigger than yours!
  • I shower daily!
I decided after the first few that my sarcasm was getting the best of me, so I tried again...sincerely this time.
  • I analyze everything!
  • Life doesn't suck...much!
  • Drinking makes me happy!
  • I try not to be mean!
Once again, my t-shirts were decidedly NOT the positive-thinking bestsellers I'd been hoping for.  I dug REALLY, REALLY deep....
  • Crying keeps me from killing!
  • When life hands you lemons, squeeze them REALLY HARD!
  • Smile...even if your butt is on fire!
  • Hysteria is just another love language!
 Well, fortunately I bought the book.  I think I'll have to go through the steps a few more times before I can summon up the courage to Shut Up and Move On in several areas of my life.  In reality, that's my plan.

Rascal Flatts said it best, I'm pretty sure.


P.S.  I SERIOUSLY made a t-shirt.  You can totally buy it.

strong women
http://www.zazzle.com/strong_women_tees-235653100669192655

If you like my blog, share it.  Or Like my FB page to get updates.  Or subscribe to the e-mail list.  Or make a comment below.  If you don't like it, well...just try not to hurt my feelings.  I'm sensitive.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment