“It was always so hot, and everyone was so polite, and everything was all surface but underneath it was like a bomb waiting to go off. I always felt that way about the South, that beneath the smiles and southern hospitality and politeness were a lot of guns and liquor and secrets.”
― James McBride
― James McBride
I have no desire to get up and clean or move at all. I haven't done a single load of laundry. I haven't even read much. I'm like an old-timer on a Southern front porch, just sitting and rocking and watching the world go by. Mostly what I'm doing is sitting here counting my blessings.
- I have electricity to move the blades of the fans in the house. The overhead fans are whirring away and the box fans hum along on their highest setting. I am so grateful for electricity.
- Yesterday, it rained. I am so grateful for the rains that have cooled the air.
- At some point, when the parts come in and when my HVAC guy can get the almost-day-long job on his schedule, I will have working air conditioning again. I am thankful that I have a job so I can pay for this new unit.
- I am thankful for a working refrigerator with a built-in icemaker. How fortunate I am that I can grab a cool drink in this confounded heat!
- I am so happy that my boys were able to go the beach with their dad this last weekend. They'll miss some of this heat since they won't return here until Tuesday night. I am grateful to be able to teach them the lesson of how blessed we really are. Doing without increases your appreciation for what you do have when you have it.
- I am thankful for my friends who have offered a place to stay in the heat. I haven't taken them up on it, but I appreciate the offers. And I am so grateful for the friendships I have.
- I am healthy. My boys and my animals are healthy. I am so grateful that we have good health and are able to endure the heat without too much stress on our minds and bodies.
- I have a car so if I really need to get up and out of this heat, I can gather up the animals and we can take a drive with cool A/C! Or, I can use the car to go buy more box fans. Or I can go and find an air-conditioned restaurant to cool my heels in for a little while. I am so thankful I have a car that works.
- I am so thankful that I can be thankful. My heart and my mind are at peace these days. I can focus on the many, many wonderful things in life instead of dwelling on the things that may not work as well. I am grateful that I have a heart that seeks peace. And I am thankful that I have so many people to love.
If you like my blog, share it. Or Like my FB page to get updates. Or subscribe to the e-mail list. Or make a comment below. If you don't like it, well...just try not to hurt my feelings. I'm sensitive.