Monday, August 19, 2013

Dancin' through life

“We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.”
                                                         ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Sunday was a really, really bad day.  I didn't feel well.  Nothing was right.  I felt terrible and I cried by myself, alone in my house with only the animals for companionship.

And then came Monday.

Monday isn't usually a day of celebration.  Mondays are the start of our work weeks.  Mondays are just the beginning of a long stretch of gettin' up and gettin' it done.  MY Monday was different, though.  In the midst of my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day on Sunday, I realized something: life happens around us in spite of our circumstances.

It doesn't matter if we're sick or tired or crying.  It doesn't matter if we're joyful, ecstatic and overwhelmed by the kindness of our friends.  Some days are up and some days are down but the one truth we can walk away with is that no matter HOW we feel, the clock keeps ticking and the calendar keeps moving us on toward our inevitable fates.

So Monday came early.  I was wide awake at 5:30 a.m.  And, for the first time in recent memory, I woke up dancing.

My dancin' feet
I rolled over and instead of reaching for my television remote to turn on the news of the day, I hit the music button on my iPhone and let fate decide what would play.   To my delight, it was an oft-listened to song by Marie and the redCat called "Beautiful Day."  It's a swingin' kind of happy song.  I collapsed back on my pillows with a huge grin and started moving my feet in time to the music.

I let the dogs out, made my coffee and fed all the animals with a big smile on my face.  Life happens around us.  Even if we're sick.  Even if we're sad.  Even if we think that we are all alone in this world.  Life happens around us.

I went back upstairs and danced through my shower to "Prisoner" by Needtobreathe and then "Little Red Corvette" by Prince.

While I was ironing my clothes, I sang and danced to "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" by Will Smith.  Who WOULDN'T dance to that song?

On your mark ready set let's go
Dance floor pro I know you know
I go psycho when my new joint hit
Just can't sit
Gotta get jiggy wit it
Ooh that's it
Now honey honey come ride
DKNY all up in my eye
You gotta Prada bag with alotta stuff in it
Give it to your friend let's spin

Ironing.  And dancing.  It's a combination that you should definitely try when the mood next strikes.

Life happens.  People leave you.  People misunderstand you.  People can't figure out how to love you the way you need to be loved. And sometimes they don't really care to try.  But life still happens. 

Every day is a new opportunity to live your best life.  Every day is a brand new chance to love like you should, laugh like you love life and tell your truths as you see them.  It doesn't matter how bad Sunday was and it shouldn't matter that Monday is the start of something you'd rather not do.  If you keep letting these moments slip by then your whole life will be over and you'll wonder how you spent your time.  You have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

And, if I have my druthers, those feet are dancin' feet.  I choose joy.

If you like my blog, share it.  Or Like my FB page to get updates.  Or subscribe to the e-mail list.  Or make a comment below.  If you don't like it, well...just try not to hurt my feelings.  I'm sensitive.     



  

No comments:

Post a Comment