Thursday, August 22, 2013

Should we seek perfection?

“If you look for perfection, you'll never be content.”
― Leo Tolstoy

I received a few texts from a friend today pointing out some flaws in a recent blog post.  He noted the "disconnected rambling" and the fact that I had alluded to having a private conversation with the glassware.  There were a couple of other points he made and then let me know that I could use an editor.  After he had made a few statements, I let him know that my feelings were hurt.  (Which is SO HUGE for me...normally I would have been passive-aggressively bitchy back...I am growing UP!)

OK, here's the thing about me and blogging:  I do it for the therapeutic value it provides and because, on occasion, something I say resonates with SOMEONE.  I REALIZE that I mix my tenses.  I have typos.  I do.  Sometimes my grammar is out of whack.  And I appreciate it when people send me a note to let me know I've misspelled something...but, please believe me:  I am hard ENOUGH on MYSELF.  While I know that feedback helps me to grow, I would prefer that it be a piece here and there and maybe not a whole list of things I'm doing wrong.  Now, if another (wildly successful) blogger I admire gave me a big giant list of ways to improve I would be super stoked about that because a) they've been in my shoes and have worked hard on their craft, and b) it would mean that a wildly successful blogger I admire is READING MY STUFF.

This process is allowing me to freely create.  Everything you read is the result of about a 15-25 minute stream of consciousness.  I don't plan.  I don't agonize.  I just write.  I do it because it makes me FEEL better.  I do it because I have this overwhelming need to put words down in some semblance of order.  I do it because I love the process of writing.

Would I LOVE to be a "real writer?"  Of course I would.  But, for now, I'm not.  I don't have an editor.  I don't WANT one right now.  I do understand that I NEED one because a lot of what I do IS rambling.  It's inconsistent.  And a lot of it isn't very good.  But SOME of it is.  And...the bottom line is:  It makes me HAPPY.

My friend and I worked it out.  He claimed he loves me AND my blog (although I have my doubts, believe me).  I love him, too.  And I respect his criticism and his (often ignored) advice.  Hopefully next time he will offer up ONE criticism or, at most, TWO instead of a laundry list of imperfections. 

I am really at peace with my flaws on AND off the blogosphere.  Here's hoping that everyone else can just accept me, too.  Everyone's a critic.  Sheesh.  :)  Be sure to read the fine print at the bottom of every blog post I write.

“Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.”
― Salvador DalĂ­
If you like my blog, share it.  Or Like my FB page to get updates.  Or subscribe to the e-mail list.  Or make a comment below.  If you don't like it, well...just try not to hurt my feelings.  I'm sensitive.

    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment