Thursday, April 11, 2013

High School Revisited

“High school isn't a very important place. When you're going you think it's a big deal, but when it's over nobody really thinks it was great unless they're beered up.”
― Stephen King


A few years ago, I stumbled onto the planning committee for my 20th high school reunion.  I am nothing if not a joiner and I saw the notice on Facebook about helping out.  I didn't have much of anything else going on at the time and decided to see what I could do to assist.

I didn't love high school.  As a matter of fact, I almost had a countdown going for when I could get out of that school and, thus, small-town North Carolina, and get started on my LIFE.  I made pretty good grades and had a few friends but mostly, I had acquaintances and a strong desire to get the hell outta Dodge. When it came time for the reunion committee to meet, I KNEW everyone there but had never really been friends with them.

And there we were twenty years later.

I didn't expect to really like them.  I mean, I figured it would be much the same as it was in high school.  We would do our thing and plan the event and then it would be over and life would go back to normal.  And that happened.  But in the process, I was changed.

I fell in love with these people.

These people were SMART.  And they were FUNNY.  And I loved gathering with them to hear their stories of where they'd been and who they'd become over the last twenty years.  They made me laugh and, for the first time, I got to know them.  I found myself growing eager for each meeting and felt real sorrow when I knew the planning would cease, the event would be over and life would keep on keepin' on.

I felt like I belonged with them...that maybe I had belonged with them all along.

Over the last several years, we have gotten together here and there and I see some more than others.  I am always thrilled to hear from each of them and I hope they know that I would totally have their backs in the event of a worldwide catastrophe and/or zombie apocalypse.  

We have recently been invited to attend the class of (ahem) '88's reunion party for their 25th reunion.  They're looking for more people and we...well, we're looking for a fun place to get together!  So, our reunion committee activities have fired up again.  And once again, we're exchanging these hilarious quips back and forth via our FB message threads.  And I don't want it to end.

High school wasn't my thing.  I don't miss it in the least.  But I regret not taking the time to get to know these people.  They are GOOD people.  And I wish I could have been a part of them all along.  But, as it stands, I am so glad to have the opportunity to know them NOW.  

So to the members of the reunion committee for the Class of '89...thank you.  Thank you for the privilege of getting to know each of you.  You kids rock.  I love you!  Really,  I honestly do.

:) 

If you like my blog, share it.  Or Like my FB page to get updates.  Or subscribe to the e-mail list.  Or make a comment below.  If you don't like it, well...just try not to hurt my feelings.  I'm sensitive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment