Sunday, April 28, 2013

Home Improvement

“The ache for home lives in all of us. The safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.”
― Maya Angelou

I am a do-it-yourselfer.  This is not because I have any skills (I have none) nor is it because I have any real motivation.  There are two reasons why I do-it-myself:  a) I do not like to ask for help...ever and b) I have limited funds.  I figure if I can watch it on YouTube or consult a pdf online user manual, I can make it happen.   My famous last words are almost ALWAYS "How hard can it be?"

In the past few years, I have fallen off ladders, been knocked unconscious by a falling mirror, and have been doused by water flying out unbelievably from the back of toilets.  I have even fallen into my own very large trash can in the front yard in full view of the neighbors.  Head first.  I have ruined my iPhone and have managed to put bookshelves together COMPLETELY wrong while following instructions.  I have spilled paint on carpets (like, a LOT of paint) and I have fallen up and down stairs with and without obstacles.

So, most people think that they need to be ready to dial 911 if they hear of me doing any home improvement project.  Even Sparky looks a little nervous whenever I pick up a screwdriver.  But still, I persevere.  (Please refer back to paragraph 1 for the previously stated reasons why I do this.)

On Friday, I managed to plant a vegetable garden and scrape and paint window trim AND a doorway without incident. I even applied sunscreen....THREE TIMES.  I also mowed my lawn.  Then I went inside and baked a cake.  I am practically a grown-up.

I work really hard to make our house a home.  I try to fight my natural instincts to be a hot mess and I manage to control the chaos much of the time.  I guess, if you don't really count all the injuries I've sustained and bruises I've acquired, I'm doing a pretty good job.  My kids love to be home more than anything and will often lobby for full days in their pajamas.

I still have a lot of work to do.  The rest of the trim still needs painting and I've got some rotten wood to replace. And that darned kitchen ceiling needs to have the popcorn removed.  I'll get around to it.  Let me just make sure my health insurance coverage is adequate first.  And if any of you need any help with anything, I hope you'll let me know.  I'm always glad to lend a hand, if it isn't currently bandaged.

In the meantime, I am going to take my coffee outside and admire the view of my newly-planted vegetable garden.

If you like my blog, share it.  Or Like my FB page to get updates.  Or subscribe to the e-mail list.  Or make a comment below.  If you don't like it, well...just try not to hurt my feelings.  I'm sensitive. 
  







 

No comments:

Post a Comment